Â Kitchen SplashBacks for the Adventurous! Lets take a look at some unique kitchen splash back ideas.Not a fan of white subway tiles? Don’t fret. Look to custom and DIY options for creative splashback ideas that are only limited by your imagination and budget. Of course, you’ll want to take into consideration your cooking habits, too. Those who fancy themselves amateur chefs and tend to have multiple splattering pans going at once might not be keen on a custom photography splashback. But for the pop-it-in-the-microwave types, the more decorative options might make sense. Here are 15 adventurous options that you “or your designer” may want to consider for your next kitchen splashback. Josh Partee | Architectural Photographer
1. PhotographyAn original photograph or print splashback can fit with any style and what a statement it makes. Consider using a family holiday photo or a blown-up detail of a single flower. Sarah Phipps Design
2. Salvaged boardsThis is usually an easy material to source, and works great for those looking to add farmhouse style. Add a muted, soft colour to the boards with a diluted paint, as shown here, or go bold with a few coats of fresh, bright paint. Kelli Kaufer Designs
3. Vintage bottle capsBottle caps create an interesting look suitable for a kitchen with vintage flair. Plus, they come in many colours, so you can customise the caps to fit with the rest of your kitchen colour scheme. Kelli Kaufer Designs
4. Snow skisLike the really unexpected? Salvaged downhill skis are a fun choice for a modern and funky or lodge-style kitchen.Skis can be found at secondhand stores, garage sales and online. Coordinate the colours with your home or mix it up and add spice and a variety of colours with different skis. Fill in with tile pieces to make your skis go the distance. Stacey Brandford Photography
5. Reclaimed barn woodThough this material might not be best for the space right behind your range, it works great for other areas, such as a coffee station. Tracery Interiors
6. Antique mirrorsStandard square mirrors found at any local hardware store work for modern or traditional styles, and add a reflective quality that can visually expand the size of your kitchen.If youâ€™re not too keen on an overly polished look, try looking for aged mirrors with patina. Michael Robert Construction
7. Magnetic chalkboard paintThere’s so much versatility with this option. If you don’t like the standard classroom look, you can customise your paint colour and still get the benefits of having a magnetic chalkboard.Plus, itâ€™s easily applied. A foam roller and tape are practically all you need. Kelli Kaufer Designs
8. Clothing buttonsA button splashback has the right look for this cottage-style kitchen, supplying a mix of textures and colours. InHouse Design Studio
9. Copper metal sheetThis material was a good choice for this rustic modern bar area, with slightly pounded features that give the metal a worn look. Tracey Stephens Interior Design Inc
10. Mosaic pieces from broken chinaPieces of china and tile set the tone for this cottage-style kitchen. China can be found at secondhand stores and garage sales. To save money, look for chipped or otherwise slightly damaged pieces that are marked down, which are perfect for this project. CG&S Design -Build
11. Sliced corksMany of us have a drawer or container full of wine corks just waiting for a good use. As a splashback, they add warmth and texture. They’re great for a bar area in the kitchen. Kelli Kaufer Designs
12. Stained glass piecesThese round stained glass pieces add a funky, unexpected touch to this casual cottage-style kitchen.Select sheets of stained glass in colours that coordinate with your space. Cutting the round pieces does take time, so a smaller area like over the range may be the best location for this project.TIP: For a dynamic look, divide your splashback into 50 per cent 2-inch circles, 25 per cent 1-inch circles and 25 per cent Â½-inch circles.
13. Wine cratesSalvaged wood wine crates also work great for a bar area. Call your local wine stores to see if they have any used crates you can pick up, or search online. Most boxes are not treated and can be stained to coordinate with other elements in the space.TIP: Be gentle when taking apart wine boxes, as they split easily. Jill Wolff Interior Design
14. Tin tilesA tin splashback has a classic, timeless look but adds just enough shine for a modern feel. Tin tiles comes in different finishes, too, so if you really want to go modern with this material, try molded plastic panels, which allow you to paint the surface any color.TELL US Are you daring enough to try any of these splashback ideas?
Different Methods Of WaterproofingThere are some common types of waterproofing methods used in construction industry. Waterproofing in buildings / structures are generally required for:
Basement of structure
Bathrooms and kitchen
Terrace or roofs
- Cementitious Waterproofing
- Liquid Waterproofing Membrane
- Bituminous Membrane
- Bituminous Coating
- Polyurethane Liquid Membrane
Cementitious Waterproofing Method:Cementitious waterproofing is the easiest method of waterproofing in construction. The materials for cementitious waterproofing is easily available from suppliers of masonry products, and they’re easy to mix and apply. This method is often used in the internal wet areas such as toilets. This method is usually a rigid or semi-flexible type waterproofing, but since it is used in internal areas such as toilets, it is not exposed to sunlight and weathering. Thus cementitious waterproofing does not go through contract and expansion process.
Applications of Cementitious Waterproofing:Cementitious waterproofing is used in the following type of structures:
- Water Treatment Plants
- Sewage Treatment Plants
- Railway & Subway Systems
- Marine Cargo Ports & Docks
- River Locks/Channels & Concrete Dykes
- Parking Structures & Lots
Liquid Waterproofing Membrane Method:Liquid membrane is a thin coating which consists of usually a primer coat and two coats of top coats which are applied by spray, roller, or trowel. It offers more flexibility than the cementitious types of waterproofing. The liquid cures into a rubbery coating on the wall. The elongation properties of the coating can reach as high as 280%. The durability of the waterproofing coating depends on what type of polymer the manufacturer use for the making of the liquid waterproofing. Liquid waterproofing membrane can be of spray-applied liquid membrane composed of polymer-modified asphalt. Polyurethane liquid membranes in separate grades for trowel, roller, or spray are also available from various manufacturers.
Bituminous Coating Waterproofing Method:Bituminous coating is a type of coating used for waterproofing and flexible protective coat in accordance with its formulation and polymerization grade. Its flexibility and protection against water can be influenced by the polymer grade as well as reinforcement of fiber. Bituminous coating is also called as asphalt coating. The most common applications of bituminous coatings include areas that are beneath screed wet. It is an excellent protective coating and waterproofing agent, especially on surfaces such as concrete foundations. Bituminous coating is made of bitumen based materials and it is not suitable for expose to sunlight. It becomes very brittle and fragile when long exposure to the sunlight unless it is modified with more flexible material such as polyurethane or acrylic based polymers. The flexibility of the finished products always depends on the solid content of the polymer added to the bitumen.
Bituminous Membrane Waterproofing Method:Bituminous membrane waterproofing is a popular method used for low-sloped roofs due to their proven performance. Bituminous waterproofing membrane have torch on membrane and self-adhesive membrane. Self-adhesive compounds comprise asphalt, polymers and filler; additionally, certain resins and oils may be added to improve adhesion characteristics. The self-adhesive type has low shelf life as bonding properties of the membrane reduces with time. Torch on membrane have exposed and covered types. Exposed membrane often has mineral granular aggregate to withstand the wear and tear of the weathering and the other types of membrane, contractor need to apply one protective screed to prevent the puncture of the membrane.
Polyurethane Liquid Membrane Waterproofing Method:Polyurethane liquid membrane method of waterproofing is used for the flat roof area and exposed to weathering. This waterproofing method is expensive. Polyurethane Liquid Membrane can offer higher flexibility. Polyurethane is very sensitive to moisture content present, therefore before application, one has to be very careful evaluating the moisture content of the concrete slab, otherwise peeling or de-bonding of membranes may happen after some time.
For information regarding Evolve Tilings Waterproofing Service in Sydney please click here or call 0411 263 790
We love what we do , Dedicated to creating the highest-quality hardwood flooring in the world